Monday, August 16, 2010

A Call To Let Go

This has been a year for me to let go of my attachment to material possessions. For some reason, I have always had the tendency to become irrationally attached to things once they come into my possession (even to things that other people would consider junk!); thus, in light of this addiction to my stuff, I formed the intention to combat my clinginess by giving some of my stuff away. Earlier this year, I simply had the intention to donate some old clothes that I don't even wear anymore. Recently, though, I feel as though the Lord has been calling me to give up some other things as an act of faith and of surrender to His Lordship. Specifically, I feel the urge to give some video games to the boy down the street, and I am considering giving one of my guitars to another boy on our block.

You must understand, I am very possessive of my things--so much so that I have containers of toys, clothes, and other random items from childhood that I've never even considered getting rid of (until now, that is!). And I've never considered giving something away that I possibly could find a use for sometime in the near future. So, the idea of giving away one of my video games (that I like but hardly have the time to play) or one of my guitars (that was pulled out of a dumpster, no less) really goes against my grain. God knows how deep my attachment to my stuff goes, and I believe that He wants me to let go of some things that would reveal that my devotion to Him is more important to me than those things.

I've been pondering this for a week or two now. I feel pretty certain that God wants me to step out in faith by giving away some of my possessions--now it's just a matter of actually following through. I pray that God will strengthen me to overcome my addiction to stuff and empower me to joyfully give away some of my possessions. I desire to do this so that God will have more room in my heart to do His good work in me. I don't want to hold anything back from God's regenerative power!

May I be more like Him every day so that His glory will shine through my every word and action! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment